Social media has indeed gone mainstream and for businesses it represents an unprecedented marketing opportunity that transcends traditional middlemen and connects companies directly with customers.
Furthermore, every business on the planet is exploring social media marketing initiatives.
In a new report from BI Intelligence, here are 10 of the most surprising facts from their annual global media census:
- The largest user population at 1.16 billion monthly active users is on Facebook. But it’s seldom-discussed that YouTube is close behind with 1 billion MAUs.
- China’s giant social media network, Qzone, is running in third place at 712 million total users. It’s twice as large as global social messaging app WhatsApp, and nearly three times as large as Twitter.
- Three of the world’s top 10 social properties are messaging platforms: WhatsApp, LINE, and WeChat.
- IPO-bound Twitter is smaller than many of its less-known rivals, including Tumblr, WhatsApp, and LINE.
- Eighty-six percent of Facebook’s users are outside the United States.
- Facebook has 95 million users in China (despite the fact that it’s officially blocked), 68 million in India, 42 million in Brazil. Taking these population together, they’re twice as large as Facebook’s U.S. population of 100 million.
- Nearly 25% of LinkedIn’s users are in India. In fact, there are more Indians than Americans on LinkedIn and Google+.
- Despite being blocked in China, the major social networks still have many millions of Chinese active users who use various stratagems to access these services.
- Google+ has 100 million users in China, Twitter has 80 million, and YouTube has 60 million.
- LinkedIn has over 20 million users in the country and is the only major social network that is not blocked in China,
- Eighty-two percent of Thai smartphone owners access social media daily on their phones. Read more…
If you have a website that is not linked to social media, then you are definitely missing it. Start with getting a good website developed then incorporate this as a marketing tool and part of the overall marketing strategy. Collaborate with WestBrook today on email@example.com